WE ARE A SOCIAL ENTERPRISE HARNESSING THE POWER OF BUSINESS TO DELIVER POSITIVE IMPACT
A BRIGHTER FUTURE
Which type of social enterprise are we?
A business offering 'positive impact products' (e.g. energy efficiency solutions)?
A 'profit for purpose' business (e.g. donating 50% of profits to charity?).
An 'impact model' (e.g. a certified BCorp with an inclusive governance structure)?
We are all three.
We use business as a tool to positively impact all stakeholders – including our planet, clients, staff and the wider community.
We imagine a future where buildings are lit, heated, and cooled with minimal power - through integration of passive design, sunlight, and repairable smart products that defy planned obsolescence.
WE also DONATE 50% OF PROFITS TO CHARITY
We choose charities by drawing on the principles of affective altruism and stakeholder inclusivity. This allows us to donate at least 50% of our profits to a range of affective charities.
MORE THAN JUST ENERGY EFFICIENT PRODUCTS – WE WALK THE TALK
We run a carbon neutral business, utilise eco design and education, and reduce landfill through long lasting efficient LED lights with replaceable parts, HVAC control and more.
Below are some of the KPI's we use to track our positive impact.
- Donating 50% of profits to charity
- Donating lights to non-profits
- One Percent for Planet certification
- BCorp certification
- Planting 2 native trees for every job
- Local employment and up-skilling
- Ensuring 80% of catering is plant-based
- Carbon negative operations (measure, reduce, and offset)
- Purchasing Gold Standard VER carbon offsets (after first measuring and reducing)
Stakeholder Engagement + Transparency
- Tracking KPI’s e.g. # of trees planted, kWh reduced, $ donated , tonnes of CO2e reduced, $ saved for clients
- Making clients proud of sustainability after project (“commitment and consistency” / “action before attitude”)
- Using company voice to raise awareness on social and environmental issues
- Educating staff on sustainability including Positive Impact handbook
- Using banks divested from fossil fuels
- Using insurance companies divested from fossil fuels
- Asking staff and clients to vote on which charities we donate to
- Monitoring customer outcomes
- Reviewing customer satisfaction and feedback
- Sharing financial performance with staff
- Use recycled office and toilet paper
- Minimise and recycle waste in our office
- Recycle fluorescents on our jobs
- Recycle cardboard on our jobs
- Recycle metal on our jobs
- Use re-usable wares for catering
- Use recycled paper for promo materials
- Use re-usable cups for staff
- Use biodegradable pallet wrap and tape
- Insulated both our office locations
- Installed solar on our Capalaba office
- We purchase 100% green power for our Capalaba office
- We use LED lights in our offices
- We use proper daylight harvesting lighting in our warehouse (dims up and down based on sunlight)
- We use motion sensor lights in our warehouse
- We limit air travel to one flight per year per staff max
- We set HVAC to > 24 in summer
- We sealed the thermal envelope of our office
- We installed a hot water timer so our hot water acts as thermal storage and heats via PV
- We switch off IT equipment and appliances when not in use
- We work from home at least 50% of the time to limit transport emissions
- Our primary vehicle fleet is Hybrid (soon to be electric!)
- We installed smart HVAC controls to limit setpoint
Sourcing and Products
- Using sea freight for > 80% of imports
- Ensuring > 80% of products we sell have > 5yr warranty
- Ensuring most products we sell have replaceable parts
- Specifying motion/daylight sensor products for low-use areas
- Prioritising products with minimal plastic packaging
- Prioritising suppliers with ESG focus
- Offering paid volunteering for staff
- Offering professional development for staff
- Offering financial literacy training to staff
- Offering free meditation and yoga to staff
- Revenue based bonuses for staff
- Limiting the difference between lowest and highest paid staff
- Keeping safety incident records and implement preventative measures
- Giving massage vouchers to staff
- Providing no cost (meat free) meals to staff
- Ability to work from home more than 50% of the time if preferred
- Developing Professional Development plans for our staff for career advancement
- Exposing our staff to new areas for career advancement
- Giving staff a budget to purchase home office plants
GET IN TOUCH TODAY TO FIND OUT HOW WE CAN HELP IMPROVE YOUR PROJECTCONTACT US
© 2022 AUSTEP ECO PTY LTD | SITE BY BAMBI WANTS REVENGE